Pomegranate-Kombucha Apple Sauce
This entry was posted on January 23, 2014.
Afternoon y'alls! It's been blowing a two-foot-deep tundra sideways here, and it's time to offset this bone biting chill with some GOOD FOOD! So lets get started on some mind blowing Pomegranate-Kombucha Apple Sauce, perfect with cracked oatmeal and homemade yogurt.
Time required: 3-4 Hours (pot watching mostly)
Other requirements: Pomegranate-Kombucha (see below)
Difficulty: Easy / Medium
Note- you can start your apple sauce with the pomegranate kombucha first, and then add the caramel later when you've finished it. This may shorten the time required.
- 12-15 Apples, preferably Honey Crisps
- 2 Cups of Pomegranate-Kombucha (optional until you try it with. :)
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 tsp (teaspoon) Salt
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Ground ginger
- 1 tbsp Allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp clove
Pomegranate-Kombucha: Makes 2 Quarts +
Follow our instructions here for 1/2 Gallon our Basic, Straight-Up Kombucha.
Depending on your judgement on their flavor, and final amount of juice, add either 1.6 fluid ounces of Pomegranate Concentrate (found at health food stores, organic is best) OR juice from a freshly squeezed pomegranate, to your now finished kombucha. Reserve 2 cups of Pom-'Buch for this recipe.
Caramel Syrup: Read through before starting
- Please: take any and all necessary precaution with any syrup production, as this stuff gets really hot.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to a (very important) SQUEAKY CLEAN and DRY sauce pot.
- Boil 2 Cups water in a kettle or separate pot while you ...
- Turn heat to Med-High, and let your sugar start to melt.
- Once your sugar melts, with a metal whisk (or spoon as I forgot mine), whisk any left over sugar clumps to make a uniform syrup.
- You will now cook the syrup until it goes a medium orange / brown, and then turn off the heat so that after cooling, your syrup will be a lovely and deep caramel color.
- As its still bubbling and cooling off, add your 2 Cups of boiling water all at once and WHISK! Beware: this is hot enough to scald you so be careful! Do not add the water too slowly because the sugar will vaporize a small amount of water and splatter it on you, where as if it all goes in at once, it will cool down the sugar much quicker and make this a safer operation.
- Did you do it? Well Done! Pat yourself on the back. Now onto..
The Apple Sauce
- Quickly rinse and peel any stickers off your Apples, then pat dry with a cloth.
- Cut the Apples in half vertically, then vertically half again.
- with a small pairing knife, core out the quarter slices.
- Small dice your apples.
- Place your Apple dice into a pot with at least 2-3 inches space at the top.
- Add all your spices and salt, Caramel Syrup, and 2 Cups of Pomegranate Kombucha to the pot and give a good stir.
- Cook on Medium Heat until soft, then low for as long as it takes to cook the residual liquid off.
You've finished your Pomegranate-Kombucha Apple Sauce! Well done. I love it on its own, or as pictured above on top of cracked oatmeal porridge with a dollop of yogurt and sliced apple.